Садиба Меллер-Закомельських у Ялті. Фото надано автором.

Old Yalta is in the hands of the herostrats


In September 2015, former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi illegally arrived in Crimea occupied by Russia for a meeting with the president of the occupying state, Vladimir Putin. The two of them visited the legendary Masandra winery, which after its “nationalization” in 2014 was controlled for a long time by the Presidential Administration of the Russian Federation. During a tour of the wine cellars, Yanina Pavlenko, who was appointed as the “director” of the plant after the raid in February 2015, and until then headed the Novy Svit champagne wine factory, opened one of the five bottles of the unique collection wine at the request of a foreign “high-ranking guest” Jerez de la Frontera of the 1775 harvest, which was brought to the Crimea from Spain at one time by Count Mykhailo Vorontsov, the founder of “Masandra”. Two bottles of this wine were sold at the Sotheby’s auction before and after Ukraine gained independence – in 1990 and 2001. In the second case, the price of the lot, which was “approved” by the then President of Ukraine, Leonid Kuchma, was a record 50,000 US dollars; the received funds were directed to the state budget of Ukraine for the development of “Masandra” in particular and winemaking in Crimea in general. At the time of Putin’s friendly drinking session with Berlusconi at Massandra, a bottle of the most valuable wine in the enoteca was estimated to cost between 100,000 and 150,000 dollars. In January 2016, the Prosecutor’s Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea charged Yanina Pavlenko, who had been wanted since 2014 on suspicion of treason, with another charge, this time under Part 5 of Art. 191 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine – “Taking possession of property in particularly large amounts”, estimating the damages at more than two million hryvnias, while the precious bottle uncorked by the Russian president and his Italian friend was written off for 44 rubles 12 kopecks – the price of a bottle of beer of not the best quality. In addition, not only Putin and Berlusconi, but also the persons who accompanied them were given 31 bottles of unique collection wine from the cellars of “Massandra” for “tasting”.

In 2020, the “State Council of the Republic of Crimea” included “Masandra” in the annual “privatization plan”. After the transformation of the historic winery into a “joint-stock company”, the Crimean “Ministry of Property and Land Relations” put the entire package of its shares up for auction. In December, the enterprise was sold for 5.3 billion rubles to Yuzhnyi Proekt LLC, which is owned by Rossiya Bank and is accordingly connected to Putin’s “wallet” Yuri Kovalchuk.

Meanwhile, Yanina Pavlenko, a native of Vyzhnytsia, Bukovyna, became the “first deputy head of the Yalta administration” at the end of autumn 2020, and on December 24 she headed the “administration” – continuing to practice in her new “position” her “traditional” attitude to the national historical and cultural heritage of Ukraine, betrayed by her . During her “election”, Pavlenko vowed to fight against the chaotic development of Yalta and stop its transformation into a stone jungle, noting that the town is not immeasurable, and there is simply no place to cram high-rise buildings into it. At the same time, the candidate for the position of “city head” promised to restore the architectural heritage of Yalta and unify its architectural style. To what extent these promises are now fulfilled – let’s talk in more detail.

For the new year 2022, the “administration” of Yalta presented the residents of the region with a series of “decrees” declaring dozens of apartment buildings in Greater Yalta as emergency and subject to demolition. Citizens noticed with horror that the list includes buildings that either already have the status of architectural monuments (the legislation of the occupying state uses the term “object of cultural heritage”), or were deprived of such status or are claiming it.

In particular, the “resolution” No. 4534-p on the dismantling of building No. 18 (letter A) on Lenin Street in Alupka, signed by the “first deputy head of the Yalta administration” Yevgenia Bavykina, caused a public outcry in January of this year. One of the architectural monuments is located at the indicated address – the dacha of the photographer Alfred Zimmerman, built in 1908. According to “Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Crimea” No. 627 of December 20, 2016, the building was included in the objects of cultural heritage of regional importance. From April 12 to May 14, 2021, a “state historical and cultural examination” was conducted on the discovered monument, the conclusions of which confirmed that the object has historical and urban planning significance, architectural and memorial value. “Order of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Crimea” No. 558-OKN dated December 2, 2021 approved the boundaries of the territory and regimes of land use within the territory of the cultural heritage site of regional importance “Dacha A.E. Zimmerman” (AR Crimea, Yalta City Council, Alupka, Lenina Street, building 18, letters “A”, “a1”, “a2”, “a3”, “a4”). In less than a month, the “administration” of Yalta decided to bulldoze the historic building.

On January 8, the residents of the historic building No. 60 on Sovietanska Street in Simeiza “rejoiced” at the prospect of losing their homes, which housed the dacha of the noblewoman Varvara Panfilova more than a century ago and which was subject to demolition according to “decision” No. 4535-p of the “administration” of Yalta. As of the beginning of 2022, a three-story dilapidated house with three entrances with a total area of ​​785.3 square meters. m was taken care of by the “managing organization” “Municipal Unitary Enterprise” “Repair and operation organization “Simeiz”. In open cadastral data, the house is for some reason marked as “slum” and also marked as 100% worn out; at the same time, instead of 1914, the year of construction was erroneously indicated as 1917. According to the rules of the occupying state, buildings of “pre-revolutionary” construction are not included in the capital repair program due to the unprofitability of their restoration – however, monuments of cultural and historical significance are an exception; since in 2026 the former dacha of Panfilova was expected to repair the roof and facade, and in 2028 – the repair of internal engineering systems, the status of a historical and cultural monument was recognized for it. In addition, the problem is created by the fact that the land plot of home ownership is not formed, not demarcated and is not included in the occupation cadastral record; there are numerous arbitrary buildings on it, including the six-story Sea of ​​Luck hotel built in 2018, which is indicated on the public cadastral map under the appropriated letter A. It was this misunderstanding that gave rise to the collision: according to the Yalta “regulation”, it was to be demolished as an emergency would have gone to house No. 60A, but her printout was pasted on “Panfilova’s dacha”, which does not have a letter in the number. It should be noted that back in April 2008, the residents of the historic building united in a condominium led by Oleksandr Volontyr: it is this person that the residents of the “Panfilova dacha” accuse of illegally building the adjacent territory and “making their home look like a monastery.”

In the meantime, residents of Yalta were shocked by the inscription, prints of which appeared on January 11 on the facade of an apartment building, arranged in the former Tatarynova villa (house No. 12, letter “A” on Sadova Street) in the historic center of the city: among other things, in the “decision” No. 4520-p under the signature of the already mentioned Yevgenia Bavykina, as in the rest of similar resolutions, the residents of the historic building, which was declared emergency, were ordered to submit documents for inclusion in the resettlement program by January 15 (that is, in a matter of days), and then until the end In 2026, demolish your home yourself; at the same time, the owners of non-privatized apartments were supposed to be resettled in the so-called “maneuvering fund” until another suitable accommodation is found for them. The same prescriptions appeared in the first decade of January on the rest of the “emergency” buildings in Great Yalta, which will be discussed later. Like Zimmerman’s dacha in Alupka, Tatarynova’s villa, also known in the city as the “majolica house” due to its decoration with unique ceramic tiles, is included in the occupation list of “objects of cultural heritage of regional significance”, determined by the “decision of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Crimea” back in 2016 . The residents of the building explain the intentions of the city “authority” by the fact that the historical building received a protective status from the occupiers without division into letters – that is, in this case, the objects of cultural heritage, in addition to the main building, are also two outbuildings related to it, and one of they suddenly “lost” their historical and architectural value. Interestingly, the day after the residents of Tatarynova’s former villa were informed of the demolition order, an announcement for the sale of the “pre-revolutionary” house #12/2K4 on Sadovaya Street in Yalta appeared on one of the Russian real estate websites with the following comment: “Reconstruction and construction of a new building is possible. A building of at least 5 floors for residential use or a mini-hotel can be built on the available plot of three acres. There is a decision of the Yalta City Executive Committee regarding the construction permit.”

The fate of Fanny Tatarynova (from the Bergman house, 1863–1923) contains many interesting facts. In 1884, a young woman moved to Yalta due to the illness of her husband and son, eventually burying both of them. In the city, she was known not only for her entrepreneurial, charitable and public activities: she also published and edited the city’s daily publication “Yalta Listok”, which was published from December 16, 1900 until almost the end of 1904. Among other things, Fanny Tatarynova owned one of the most beautiful buildings on the Yalta embankment – the Hotel “Dzhalita”, which in some sources is called “Tatarynova’s dacha”. A complex of small dachas, built at the end of the 1880s at the intersection of the embankment and Pushkinsky Boulevard, had the general name “Dzhalita”; Tatarynova was the owner of one of the country houses. It is known that the editorial office and office of Yalta Leaf, as well as the printing office of State Councilor Mykola Vakhtin, where the publication was printed, were located in the same complex. However, even before the publication of the Yalta Leaflet, the Vakhtina printing house in 1900 published the third volume of the works of the outstanding Ukrainian literary and public figure Oleksandr Konyskyi, who periodically lived in Yalta. In 1904, a publishing house of the same name was opened in Dzhalita, which published the diaries of the famous French artist of Ukrainian origin Maria Bashkyrtseva. In 1905, the country complex was supplemented by a new original building of the “Jalita” boarding house with 150 rooms, which was built in the Swiss style by the outstanding architect Mykola Krasnov. In the same year, Tatarynova went bankrupt, and in 1907 she moved to Moscow, where she was invited to the Art Theater, where she worked until the end of her life as a vocal teacher and head of the literary department. Unfortunately, the buildings of “Jalita” suffered irreparable damage during the Second World War, and their remains were dismantled.

After a wave of public indignation at the prospects of demolishing Tatarynova’s villa and other ancient buildings, the “head of the Yalta administration” Yanina Pavlenko assured her audience on social networks that there is absolutely no question of dismantling cultural heritage objects that should be restored – by the way, yes itself criminal from the point of view of Ukrainian legislation. At the same time, Pavlenko promised to meet with the residents of every “emergency” building in Velika Yalta from the published list, which included 32 positions, and added that the security status of the buildings is clarified in the Crimean “Ministry of Culture”.

In addition, the “Yalta administration” received a reprimand from the “State Department of Cultural Heritage Protection of the Republic of Crimea” and its head, Andrii Rostenko, who noted that it is impossible to demolish a cultural heritage object under any circumstances, and assumed that Tatarynova’s villa became ” candidate” for demolition due to a technical error or typing.

Paradoxical in this story is the personality of Andriy Rostenko, who was Yanina Pavlenko’s predecessor: in August-September 2014, he held the position of “first deputy mayor of Yalta”, in September-November he performed the duties of “head of the administration”, and from November From 2014 to July 2017, he headed the “administration” of Yalta. It was during his “tenure” that the building of the Yalta Museum of Lesya Ukrainka, whose activities were limited after the Russian occupation of Crimea, gained publicity. There is no truth, children – regarding the catastrophic state of the historical building of the Lishchynska estate, built in the 1880s and last restored a century later, in which the museum is located, public figures and employees of the institution sounded the alarm even decades ago, but both the regional and central authorities did not respond to the appeal. At the beginning of the spring of 2016, the media of Russia and its occupied Crimea reported that the memorial museum of Lesya Ukrainka in Yalta, which had been closed for more than a year due to the partial destruction of the ceiling, was in need of major repairs and restoration, which was not planned in the near future. A few days after the reaction of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine to the situation, Andrii Rostenko, who was then the “head of the Yalta administration”, together with specialists from the “department of architecture and urban planning” made a working trip to the museum, as a result of which he reported that “the capital construction department of the city administration” together with the “State Committee for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Crimea” is engaged in the preparation of technical terms of reference and other necessary documents for the development of design and estimate documentation and carrying out restoration works. The museum building was included in the list of objects of the “Yalta capital construction department” that were subject to major repairs; the issue of “documentation” was taken under personal control by the “head of the city”.

At the moment of submitting an application for the inclusion of the building of the Lesya Ukrainka museum in Yalta to the “federal target program (FTP) for the development of Crimea”, Andriy Rostenko left the position of “head” of Yalta and went for “promotion”, becoming an assistant to the “head of Crimea” Serhii Aksyonov. In May 2018, the former “mayor” of Yalta was detained in Moscow by Russian law enforcement officers on suspicion of “exceeding official powers”, namely, the alienation of 26 hectares of land under the “Beketove” sanatorium in Alupka, selected by the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, in favor of Yalta. Thanks to his “patron”, Rostenko was released from custody and cleared of all charges, after which he continued to work under the leadership of the “head” of Crimea and lobby for the reconstruction of the Lesya Ukrainka museum within the framework of the “FTP”, already being involved in its implementation.

Meanwhile, the position of the museum in Yalta remained unchanged; apart from promises, the following “mayors” of the city did not help him with anything – neither the former employee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, Oleksiy Chelpanov, nor the appointed “colonist” from Kuban, Ivan Imzhunt, who died of complications due to the coronavirus in October 2020 after being vaccinated with the “miraculous” Russian “Sputnik” . In the winter of 2021, Andriy Rostenko complained that the reconstruction of the Lesya Ukrainka museum was excluded from the occupation “FCP” at the end of 2020 due to “impossibility of financing”. In October of the same year, he headed the “Department of State Protection of Cultural Heritage of the Republic of Crimea”, while becoming “Deputy Minister of Culture of the Republic of Crimea” – the scandalously famous Vira (Arina) Novoselska, who has been behind bars in Moscow since November 2021 on charges of receiving in 2018, a bribe of 25 million rubles from the infamous Russian company “Meander” for assistance in the construction of a new puppet theater in Simferopol instead of the destroyed old one.

But let’s return to Yalta antiquities. In January 2022, a wave of fires swept through the city and its surroundings – which the popular conspiracy theory almost immediately regarded as arson. Fortunately, there were no heritage buildings among the damaged buildings – although some could have such status.

So, on January 10, the roof of the two-story building No. 36 on Kyivska Street in Yalta, built in 1917, caught fire: 16 of the 47 apartments were engulfed in flames, 10 (mostly on the 1st floor) were flooded with water during firefighting. 12 residents of the building found temporary shelter in the boarding house named after Chekhov, the rest – in relatives and friends. The fire destroyed 800 square meters. m of 1450. In connection with the incident, the city “prosecutor’s office” organized an inspection with the aim of providing a “legal assessment” of the actions of “responsible officials”, including compliance with the requirements of the occupying state’s legislation on fire safety.

It was found out from open sources that building No. 36 on Kyivska Street, which has been under the care of the “municipal unitary enterprise “Repair and Operation Organization-2 of the City of Yalta” since November 2015, was not an emergency. In 2026, it was planned to repair the facade and roof of the building, which burned down in early 2022, in 2028 – internal engineering systems (electricity, heat, gas, water supply, drainage), in 2029 – repair of the foundation. In total, 37.17 million rubles were collected from the residents for capital repairs, the arrears for contributions amounted to 142.4 million rubles. After the devastating fire, a rumor spread through Yalta that the “administration” of the city offered the residents to buy back their square meters at a price many times lower than the market price or to resettle them in the suburbs; the burned-out building was apparently planned to be demolished for the construction of a multi-story building.

On January 12, Yanina Pavlenko announced the launch of a “global” inspection of residential buildings in Velika Yalta for fire safety, promising to pay special attention to dilapidated buildings, of which there are many; at the same time, she emphasized that the nearby numerous outbuildings, sheds, attics, etc., which are used for housing, very often become the cause of occupations. According to Pavlenko, representatives of the Ministry of Emergency Situations and management companies had an inventory of apartment buildings, establishing the degree of fire resistance. On January 16, Roman Marchuk, “the head of the Yalta department of the supervisory activity department of the main department of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia in the Republic of Crimea” announced the start of the inspection of residential premises announced by Yanina Pavlenko. It is noteworthy that Marchuk, in accordance with the “Yalta administration resolution” No. 1544 of June 8, 2021, is a member of the “interdepartmental commission” on the conversion of residential premises into non-residential premises and vice versa, as well as on the conversion and/or redevelopment of residential and non-residential premises, on the recognition of premises residential and residential – unfit for habitation.

On January 14, Yanina Pavlenko reported that the “administration” of Yalta, together with the “Ministry of Housing and Communal Affairs of the Republic of Crimea”, continues the implementation of the “regional address program” of resettlement from emergency housing, approved by the “Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Crimea” dated March 29, 2018. She also added that during 2021, the “housing inspection of the Republic of Crimea” together with the “prosecutor’s office” of Yalta inspected 86 buildings in Greater Yalta showing signs of emergency, recognizing 32 of them as emergency, namely:

  • Yalta – No. 121 on the street Kirov; summer B and B No. 3-5 on the street Museum; summer A and B No. 2 on the street Fountain; No. 14 and No. 16 on the street Griboyedova; summer And number 12 on the street Sadova; summer B1 No. 27 on the street Red Army; apartment A No. 12 on the street Furman; summer G No. 7 on the street Polikurivska; No. 39, building 1 and 2 and let. And No. 46 on the street Sverdlova; No. 29 on the street D. Ulyanov; No. 26 on the street Sosnovy; summer A No. 14/13 on the street Nizhnyoslobidska/Srednyoslobidska; summer And No. 16 on the street Shelomeevskaya; No. 23 on the street Tavriyskaya; No. 16 on the street Lifting; summer A and B No. 64/5 on the street Kirova/Kotelnikova; summer A No. 42/1 on the street Sverdlov/Bakuninska;
  • Koreiz – No. 24 on the street Resort;
  • Nikita – lit. B No. 15 on Yuzhnoberezhny highway;
  • Simeiz – lit. And No. 7 on the street Blue and lit. A No. 60 on the street Soviet;
  • Parkove – No. 9 on the street Central;
  • Alupka – No. 2 on the street Revolutions, lit. B No. 6 on Svobody highway, lit. And No. 81 on the Sevastopol highway and flight And No. 18 on the street Lenin.

Most of the specified buildings are located in the area of ​​historical buildings, formed in 2006 on the territory of Greater Yalta.

On January 15, Yanina Pavlenko reported that the “administration” of Yalta together with the “Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Crimea” is clarifying the list of buildings that have the status of objects of cultural heritage”; the corresponding “official” information was to be received next week. At the same time, the “head” of Yalta repeated the words of his “predecessor” Andriy Rostenko and assured that there is no question of the demolition of cultural heritage objects – they are subject only to restoration, but at the same time unexpectedly stated that “according to the law” the preservation of cultural heritage object is the “obligation of the owners”. However, she never answered the questions of the townspeople – who exactly conducted the “expertise” and why the residents were not warned about it in advance.

In September 2021, Yanina Pavlenko was “congratulated” by the Security Service of Ukraine, reclassifying her several minutes of work as Putin’s waitress in 2015 under Part 1 of Art. 438 – “Violation of the laws and customs of war” for the looting of national values ​​of Ukraine in the occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea; similar accusations were made at the beginning of the same year against Serhii Aksyonov and Volodymyr Konstantinov, the Crimean “helmsmen”. In the meantime, the facts of the destruction and attempted liquidation of cultural monuments in Crimea by these and other persons await a comprehensive legal assessment.

At the end of January of this year, the public of Yalta was once again alarmed by the situation around another historical landmark of the city – the Meller-Zakomelsky estate (house No. 26 on Chekhov Street), built in the second half of the 19th century and reconstructed according to the project of the city’s chief architect, Platon Terebenev, who also was the author of the Lishchynsky dacha, which currently houses the museum of the long-suffering of Lesya Ukrainka. Barons Meller-Zakomelski purchased the plot for the construction of a dacha from the Greek family Tsemko, who had vineyards on this land.

By the way, the famous Yalta cultural figure Andriy Tsemko is the son of a Crimean Greek and a Ukrainian woman. Since the foundation of the semi-professional Yalta Ukrainian troupe in 1905 under the direction of the director Petr Natsilevich, Andriy Tsemko led its orchestra and choir, played operatic and dramatic roles, performed as a bandurist. Since 1910, he worked as a conductor of orchestras of Ukrainian professional mobile troupes. Since 1923, he was an orchestra conductor, actor and bandurist in yet another Yalta “Ukrainian troupe” – a professional music and drama theater directed by Pavel Delyavskyi, while organizing and managing drama choir groups in Yalta. After the self-dissolution of the troupe in 1927, on the basis of its collective and choir, Prokop Sapsai founded a powerful Ukrainian amateur dramatic choral theater at the Comintern club. During the German occupation of Yalta during the Second World War, Andrii Tsemko worked in the city theater with his artistic team, whose choir members were sent to Germany under the name “Yalta” in 1942. The collective toured almost until the end of the war and was disbanded with the arrival of the Soviet army in Europe: the artists were placed in the receiving distributor for verification, from where they were sent to Ukraine. In Yalta, Andrii Tsemko, who got a job as a carpenter at city school No. 3, was arrested on August 14, 1945 by NKVD representatives for “organizing during the occupation a Ukrainian ensemble that performed before the Germans.” On November 3 of the same year, the Crimean Regional Court sentenced Andrii Tsemko to 4 years in a correctional labor camp (now the late Yalta local historian Oleksa Nyrko claimed in his writings that Tsemko was punished in Siberian concentration camps for 10 years). After serving his sentence, he was forced to withdraw from artistic and social activities. In 1956, the artist died in his native city; On May 3, 1993, he was rehabilitated by the Prosecutor’s Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea.

After the Bolshevik “nationalization”, the Güzel Yer sanatorium was opened in the Meller-Zakomelsky manor, later the “Nice” boarding house; over time, buildings of the “Kyiv” sanatorium were built here. In the 1990s, the sanatorium actually ceased to exist. In 2001, the architectural ensemble of the manor (two houses and a former carriage shed) together with the park was placed on the state register by the committee for the protection of cultural heritage; in 2009-2010, for unknown reasons, the buildings were excluded from the register by the decision of the expert commission of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine – however, the status of the object of cultural heritage remained for the park with hundred-year-old trees (magnolias, olives, palm trees). In addition, the structure was declared emergency due to flooding of the foundation with ground water and damage by shachel; no one took the necessary measures for years. In the autumn of 2010, the manor complex was privatized and bought out by the tenant, after which its premises were leased to various entrepreneurs; in particular, the editorial office of the wired radio “Yalta Meridian” is still located in the historical building.

The actual owners of the Meller-Zakomelski estate in Yalta are the brothers Eduard and Vadym Hryvkovsky: the first, a former deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of the Republic of Crimea and deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Crimea, was declared wanted by the SBU on suspicion of treason in early 2018, the second is a people’s deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine from “Lytvyn Block”, involved in the construction of a 22-story residential and hotel complex on the site of the former fish factory in Yalta, where, according to the city’s master plan, the city’s creative house and library were to be located. In addition, Eduard Hryvkovskyi owns the Composer’s House in Yalta, which after “restoration” additionally “acquired” a clubhouse with underground parking and 36 apartments. In June 2020, LLC Sanatorium Kyiv, which was re-registered in the legal field of the occupying state in 2014 and related to the Hryvkovsky brothers, received a plot of land with an area of ​​9,192 square meters from the “administration” of Yalta. m, on which the Meller-Zakomelski estate complex is located, for lease for 38 years with a “permit” to conduct “resort activities”, but with restrictions due to a special architectural and planning organization and the presence of a protective zone of cultural heritage objects of regional importance, which there are six around. In the fall of 2020, the owners planned to build an apartment hotel with several 9-story buildings on the site of the Meller-Zakomelski estate, but the Yalta “administration” rejected the development project.

At the end of January 2021, a rumor spread through Yalta that the city “authorities” intended to demolish the Meller-Zakomelsky estate: the tenants were asked to vacate the premises within two weeks in connection with preparations for dismantling and further development of the territory. After the reaction of the occupying “officials” to the public outcry, in March the “Scientific and Methodological Council for Cultural Heritage under the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Crimea” included the manor house in the list of “identified objects of cultural heritage”, but in the register of objects of cultural heritage the building and didn’t get in In a year, history repeated itself: at the end of January 2022, tenants of premises in the manor were again shown the door, which caused another wave of rumors about its possible demolition. The already mentioned Andrii Rostenko assured that the “State Department of Cultural Heritage Protection of the Republic of Crimea” headed by him did not receive any “documents” from the “Ministry of Culture” or “Yalta administration” regarding the approval of construction works, and therefore did not issue any “permits”. for the reconstruction or, even more so, the demolition of a historical building or construction on its territory; at the same time, the occupying “official” promised that the manor complex would receive the status of a monument in the near future. Soon the “department” warned the “administration” of Yalta against construction work on the territory of the estate.

The reason for the desire of the regional “authority” of the occupied Crimea to “update” the architectural appearance of the settlements under its control, sometimes threatening to demolish everything in its path, is banal – the desire to curry favor with the Moscow masters, zealously carrying out their orders without considering the prospects. At the end of 2020, the President of the occupying power, Vladimir Putin, signed the Federal Law No. 494-FZ, adopted by the State Duma of the Russian Federation in the third reading, “On Amendments to the Urban Planning Code of the Russian Federation and certain legislative acts of the Russian Federation in order to ensure comprehensive development of territories”, which proposes to spread the experience of the Moscow renovation program for the entire country and the occupied territories when dilapidated and dilapidated housing is resettled – however, according to the law, even those territories that do not have such houses can be renovated. The program can also include non-emergency houses in case of wear and tear of structural elements (roof, foundation), as well as if major repairs of the house are considered expensive and impractical or the cost of which exceeds a certain amount. At the same time, the regions will determine the procedure for recognizing buildings as limitedly suitable, as well as the degree of wear and tear and the marginal cost of overhaul. Owners of residential premises must participate in voting during the inclusion of buildings in the renovation program: 2/3 of people must vote for inclusion, 1/3 is enough to exit the program. The document also provides for the provision of housing of equal or equivalent value or monetary compensation. If the owner does not sign an agreement on compensation within 45 days from the moment of voting, he may be obliged to resettle through the court. It should be noted that the Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Marat Khusnulin, who is called the “curator of Crimea”, called the law on comprehensive development of the territory “one of the most important for the development of the country and settlements.”

In theory, all this looks good, although in practice the occupation forces often simply throw people out of their homes without providing them with housing: this often applies to those who failed to issue occupation “documents” and also refused to be forced to show citizenship of the occupying state.

For now, residents of occupied Crimea can only be surprised at the selectivity with which the “authorities” of the region approach the issue of recognizing certain buildings as emergency: in particular, they do not raise questions about the dilapidated one-story barracks in the very center of the same Yalta, the residents of which are “unprofitable ” to resettle, contrary to their long-term requests, however, historical buildings that are monuments of cultural heritage or at least should receive such status become “candidates” for demolition.



Implemented within the project “Information Platform” Voice of Crimea. Culture “- about Crimea honestly, qualitatively, actually” with the support of the Media Development Fund of the US Embassy in Ukraine. The views of the authors do not necessarily reflect the official position of the US government.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: